Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hang on to your Hats Decatur, Here we come!!!

This past weekend was our weekend for the Illinois State Bowling Tournament in Decatur, IL. At 7:30 am Saturday morning Denise, Karen, Kristin and I piled into Kristin’s car and took the trek down there. We arrive at the bowling alley at 10:30am and immediately went to the bar. After all, it was 5:00 somewhere. There are roughly 30 ladies that go each year and we all bowl together and then get a block of rooms at the hotel. We bowled doubles and singles on Saturday, which means 6 games and teams on Sunday, which means 3 games. There are 4 girls on our team and we each went out and bought Big Lebowski t-shirts for the day we bowl teams.

Now, if you haven’t seen The Big Lebowski, I highly recommend it. It’s a great bowling movie. We were all set on what we were going to wear on Sunday but Denise and I weren’t sure what we were going to wear for Doubles on Saturday. It turns out that we both have shirts that say, “Grab your Balls, We’re Going Bowling!” Now, sometimes these officials at the tournaments can be sticklers about the rules and one of the main rules is about “inappropriate dress”, so I was a little nervous. But, we went for it anyway and no one said a thing! When everyone was done on Saturday, we spent a little time in the bar dancing and catching up.

I don’t get to see most of these women except at the tournament, so we had a lot to talk and laugh about. The really great thing is that for the first year, my mom went with us!!
She’s been bowling on the same league for over 30 years and she has never gone to the State Tournament. She had such a great time; she’s talking about next year already. After the bar, we went to the hotel to check in and then out to dinner. Unfortunately, the restaurants were packed and we ended up at Applebee’s because their wait was the shortest at 30 min. We should have just waited at another place. The food was horrible and some of it was ice-cold. When we left there we decided to warm up in the hot tub at the hotel, that didn’t last long. There was a birthday party going on and there were about 12 young kids in the pool scream and carrying on. After that we decided to go up to the room and get a pay-per-view movie. That didn’t work either because there was something wrong with the box. Whatever, we probably wouldn’t have stayed awake for it anyway. The next morning we went and bowled our 3 games, posed for a picture and then we were on our way home.

We got home to the frozen tundra about 8:30. But even with all the things going wrong, we still had a really great time.