Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'm So Wet, At this Point, I Can Only Get Drier!!

The Saturday before Mother’s Day, I went down to my mom’s house to spend the night. The walk was only a bus ride from her house and it started really early in the morning.

When we got up in the morning, it didn’t look too good. It was raining really hard. But we won’t melt, so we went on our way.

I was wearing 2 long sleeved t-shirts, a short sleeved t-shirt, a fleece pull-over, a plastic poncho, my rain hat, gloves, 2 pairs of socks and my brand new running shoes with the vent holes so my feet don’t get hot. ( I was so smart!) My mom was wearing similar items.

We got off the bus and walked a mile to the start of the race. By this time, we were already completely soaked!!!! We walked around for a little bit, saw some friends and then started the race.

We got about a mile into it when the 50 mile an hour winds brought sleet. It was 42 degrees, raining, 50 mile an hour winds, and now sleet. Our hands were soaked through the gloves, our jeans were soaked, and I don’t even want to tell you about those vent holes in my shoes!! We were miserable!!!!!

We made it about another ½ mile and we just couldn’t go on!! I have never been so cold in my life!! So we got to the bus stop and high tailed it back to Mom’s pad. When we got on the bus to go home, I bent down to pick something up and water poured out of the hood of my poncho on to the floor. It was so much water, some women on the bus thought that I was throwing up.
We got out of our wet clothes and had some breakfast because although it feels like it may be 4 in the afternoon, it’s only 9:30am.

After breakfast, we were thinking about the Cubs game that we had bleacher tickets for. I was positive that they would call the game. No such luck.

So Mom and I bundled up again in our newly dried clothes, and headed out. (Unfortunately, the shoes were still unbelievably wet) We took our seats underneath the scoreboard and watched the game. We made it about 5 innings and then we had to go, the wind was blowing right in our faces!! We walked back to Mom’s house and finished the game on TV with some peanuts in the shell.

Then Matt, Emerson, and Vivi came and we had prime rib for dinner.

And that was our Mother’s Day, and I just finished warming up!! As bad as the weather was and how cold Mom and I were, we still had a great time and Matt made us great shirts.