Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Our Disney Trip

We had a wonderful time in Disney!!! But I have to say, it was not without its problems. The biggest problem was with the flight out. The plan was that we were to fly out on Friday night, spend the night at a Hampton’s Inn then meet my sister at Fort Wilderness Resort on Saturday morning. We were all staying in the same cabin. This plan gave us 3 full days at the 4 parks, something that was completely do-able in my opinion.

Well, you know what they say about making plans and God laughing. We got to the airport in plenty of time to get on our flight. We were a full 1½ hours ahead of schedule. We got there just in time for them to move our 8:45pm flight back until 9:20pm. That’s when Mom and I hit the bar. Then they moved our flight back to 10:30pm. And then 11:40pm. When it got to be around 10:30, we happen to walk past one of the TV screens that lists the flights (on our way to the bar) and we found out that our flight was completely cancelled! There was no one at the gate to tell us that!! They just let us find out for ourselves!!! My mom (who is a travel agent) called United right away to get us on the next available flight. According to them, the earliest flight they could get us out on was 1:45pm the next day. I have to say, that United Airlines is so not accommodating at all. I used to fly with them all the time, but I will be thinking twice before doing it again. Ever since the government bailed their asses out of bankruptcy, the traveler has suffered. (I’ll get off my soapbox and continue the story)

So here we are with 2 sobbing children. We go down to collect our luggage and we are told that it’s at least a 4 hour wait. They told us that our luggage will be on the very first flight to Orlando and will be waiting for us when we get there. Fine, so we took a cab home and fell into bed.

The next morning everyone, except for Vivi got up at 7am. My mom called and told us that she may be able to get us on an 11:30am flight. Then 5 minutes later she called back and told us that United has cancelled that flight too. So, it really looked like we weren’t getting out until 1:45pm.

About 8am my mom called and she tells us that she got us on the 10:30am flight and we had to get to the airport right away. Here was a huge problem; we had packed all of our toiletries in the suitcases. I had nothing!!! When we got to the airport, my hair was standing on end and I had no make-up on. Now, I’m not really vain, but I’m pretty vain, so this was a major inconvience.

OK, enough about the bad times, let’s get on to the good stuff. We got to Disney and my sister had gone ALL OUT. She lives in Florida, so she bought all the groceries and she even cooked a few things that could be heated up for dinners. It was WONDERFUL!!!!

We got there kind of late, so we scrapped going to the parks on Saturday. We decided to have a nice meal, catch up and then go to the Chip and Dale Sing-A-Long Bonfire that was at the resort. We had no idea how Vivi and Gage were going to react to the characters and this was as good a time as any to find out. They LOVED them, if fact, Gage was molesting one of the chipmunks.

The next morning we got up, got ready and hit Magic Kingdom where the girls got to meet some characters including MICKEY!!

We lasted until about 3pm and had to back to rest and have some dinner. After dinner, Vivi fell asleep right away and Mom opted to stay with her and Gage. The rest of us went back to Magic Kingdom to ride some rides that we missed. I really wanted to go on Pirates of The Caribbean; it has always been my favorite. We didn’t even have to stand in line!! We got onto the boat and the ride breaks down. Now we were stuck for 40 minutes! Thank Goodness the boat didn’t go anywhere but the gates had closed and they couldn’t get them open again. We had to walk a very narrow ledge to get out. I felt sorry for the people who were stuck inside the ride. We got some Fast passes for our troubles and went on our way. We went on Thunder Mountain next and it turns out that Emerson LOVES roller coasters. We thought it was only fitting that Space Mountain be our next stop. We used out fast passes and got up to the front of the line and the ride breaks down!!! But luckily, for only a couple of minutes. After Space Mountain, Erin and Gant (my sister and brother-in-law) decided it was time to go home. We hit a couple more rides and even attempted Pirates one last time and it was working. Then we hit the road.

The next morning the group separated for a while. Matt and I wanted to take the girls to Epcot and ride 2 rides there and then we were meeting everyone at Animal Kingdom. We had a couple more run INS with some characters and Emerson got to ride some more roller coasters. After we conquered that park, we went back to the cabin where the kids rested and we made dinner.

After dinner, Matt and I took Emerson to Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM) and she got to ride the 2 mothers of all Disney roller coasters The Rock ‘n Roll rollercoaster and the Tower of Terror!!!! The Rock ‘n Roll one goes from 0 to 60 in something like 2.2 seconds. I had no idea it did that and I almost lost it. I really felt that my dinner of hot dogs was definitely going to come up. I refuse to ride the Tower of Terror after that and sat and people watched while Matt and Emerson went on it. Then we left.

Tuesday was our last day and we were being picked up for the airport at 12:50pm. So, we did the breakfast buffet at the resort and then went back and packed up. It was really hard to say goodbye to my sister and her family. It always is.

That was our Disney trip, a fun packed 4 days and I’m still exhausted!!!!


Anonymous said...

Hi... just happen to cross your site... I see that you also love Disney... me too...

Im planning to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong Disney this Christmas. Hoho and I found some stuffs from Hong Kong Disneyland here as well:

I will definitely take tones of photos there!!!