Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Not My Finest Moment


So, Deanna guessed it. I lost my teeth. Not all of my teeth, just the bottom dentures. I still have the tops, but when I wear just them, I feel like a can opener.


First a little back story, I made the decision to get dentures right after I had Vivi. My teeth had always been very soft and after having 2 kids, they just got worst. I would wake up in the morning and literally spit pieces of tooth out because I grind my teeth in my sleep.


I was also completely traumatized by a dentist when I was a child and I hadn't gone in a few years. It took all my inner strength to gather myself up and go to get this done. I sobbed sitting in the waiting room on my first consultation.


3 years later, I am relatively happy with the dentures. I have a smile again, but it does come with some draw backs. It took a really long time to get used to them. I can't really bite into anything because it loosens them. I have to be careful about spontaneous laughter, just in case they go shooting out of my mouth. Then there is the overnight trips with other people. It is almost impossible to sleep in them and I have to get up really early and put them in so that no one really sees me without teeth. (My sister saw me once and freaked out)


For over a week now, I have not left the house because I lost the bottoms. Saturday night, I was on the computer, and I took out my teeth because they were loose and bothering me. Because I was so busy with what I was doing, I laid them on the table next to me and I was going to put them in the bathroom the next time I went in there. Well, I forgot, which I frequently do, and when I got up the next morning only the tops were where I left them. I have NO IDEA what happened. We have torn the house apart looking. Matt has gone through the garbage, we have moved furniture and everything, they just disappeared.


I am at my wits end. I called the dentist and they want $1500 to replace them and it's going to take a few weeks to have them made. I am suppose to go on our annual vacation this weekend and then next weekend I have a family wedding.


I showed a family member who is going on vacation with us what I looked like with just the tops and she said that you can't even tell. I feel very self conscience and I can only eat really soft thing. Not to mention that it isn't very comfortable and effects my speech.


My only option is to go on vacation and then next week I have an appointment with another dentist who specializes in dentures. I believe they will be able to get me temporary bottoms and then we are discussing the option of titanium implants so I can stop using denture glue. The implants also completely eliminate the bone loss that regular dentures cause.


This has been a complete nightmare!!!! I just really wish I knew what happened to them. I can't even imagine where they went other than they got thrown away by accident and they're gone forever.


Maybe I'll take a picture with just the tops in and you guys can tell me what you think?

14 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Oh dear! Hubby's got dentures too. I guess shortly after getting them many moons ago (well before meeting me) his cocker spaniel got a hold of his original set and chewed them up.

Hubby's forever forgetting them in his pocket because the glue will loosen while he's at work and he'll take them out there. Then he forgets to soak them at night. Ooops! Good thing he feels comfortable enough to go without them on the job!

Liz Mays said...

What the heck? Where in the world could they have gone? Do you have a pet that might have dragged them off to a secret lair?

I'm so sorry!

Anonymous said...

How awful for you... I was traumatized by dentist when young also... FINALLY went and got my teeth in order in 2007... went to a dentist in Arizona that practices Gentle Dental practices.... It's so nice to have my smile back... still need 2 crowns but hopefully later this year will take care of that. Then when we moved to Virginia I had to find a new Gentle Dentist... so I drive an hour away just so I can deal with it. Healthy teeth are so important... Hope you can solve this soon.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Heather said...

My dad had to get dentures when he was only in his early thirties. I remember how self-conscious he was without them in.

What horrible timing. I feel so bad for you. I think you still try to go with just the uppers in; it will be fine. Then go get those implants; they'll be so worth it, and you won't ever have to go through this again!

Toriz said...

How strange... Teeth don't generally get up and walk away. I guess yours learned how to do that though.

It's the top ones people notice most. My Mam only had top ones for a while, andd most of us didn't notice. I think the only one who did was my Dad.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I hope you get this all sorted out...I know you want to be comfortable as we all do!

SparkleFarkel said...

Dear, oh dear, poor Wife O! Dentures should come with tracking devices, you know, sort of "Clap on! Clap off!" "Clap in! Clap out!"?? No matter, sounds like you could use something "homing." But since you've looked everywhere (They didn't get stuck between some magazines, or in a rogue newspaper, did they? Have you checked Tiger's dog house?) I'd have to agree, I'd say going with "My Only Option" is your best bet. After the fact, you'll find the titanium implants to be a Godsend. I feel for you; what a dilemma.

And whatsup with St. Tony?! Somebody's aleep at the wheel! Best of luck to you, Wife O, You're toofies are still in my prayers. (DO YO HEAR THAT, ANTHONY?! I'M TALKIN" TO YA!)

Becky said...

How awful!

I never would of guessed teeth.

I bet your dog swiped them,(if you have a dog) or they got thrown away. MAN!!!!

Don't let this mean you miss vacation! Just wear the tops...you'll never see those strangers again. (unless it is a family reunion type trip)

And put the money into the implants~Sounds worth it!

Kimmy said...

Oh No!!!! I know a few people that have had the same procedure for similar reasons, just have never seen them without them on.

Oh, and don't you just hate when the house eats your things??!! We have lost a couple things and looked ALL OVER but can not for the life of us figure out where the stuff went. I knew where we left them but....GONE. VANISHED.

I sure hope you find your dentures before you have to go on vacation!!

Intense Guy said...

Well, that really bites...

I assume you have walked through where you were and where you might have walked Saturday night with a close eye on where you might of put the choppers down, including all the "well I would have never put them down 'there'" places.

I've done the same sort of thing - lost stuff semi-sleep walking and finding things in the oddest places - like the bathroom linen cloest?

betty said...

thanking God you found half of them; so sorry you have to go through this whole ordeal! too bad it can't be like contact lenses where they give you a backup pair. I think you made the wisest decision to get them in the first place; I had a friend at 28 get them because she had something similar and she too felt it was the best option! good for you for thinking it through and going through it

now wondering where those bottoms could have gotten to......

hugs to you; you were so honest to tell too!

hoping despite all you have a wonderful vacation and wedding

betty

Lacey said...

Ohmigosh! You poor thing! Did you ask the kids? Do you have a dog? Did they somehow slide behind a computer desk/ under a printer/ behind a monitor/ behind files/ speakers/ SOMEHTHING?!?!?! Maybe they slid behind something and then got caught in cords? OMIGOSH!

When I was a kid I broke a cordless phone and felt so bad about it that I hid it in an old backpack in my closet. My mom thought she'd LOST HER MIND, she didn't find it for over three years! (And yes, I know a phone is way different that teeth, but seriously, maybe there was an accident?)

I don't know anything about implants, but I hear there are methods now that are a lot less painful than they used to be with a lot shorter healing time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Deanna said...

I feel bad that I guessed it but no teeth was absolutely the only thing I could think of that would keep anyone from going to something important. Dang hun - I'll bet nobody will notice. I cannot imagine where they could be! Dog? Could one of the kids flushed them and not admitted it? Post the picture and I promise I'll be honest. But no matter what, you need to go on your vacation. It will show everyone just how gutsy you are. Huggssssssssssssssss

Anonymous said...

oh no! thats horrible! i hope you find them soon! keep looking!! do you have a dog?