Wednesday, December 16, 2009

If It's Not One Thing...It's Your Mother.

Or in this case, my stepmother.


We have had a pretty tough year. In fact, it has been the worst year on record. I won't bore you with details, but most of it has to do with money. Although, we are far from out of the woods, we have taken the right steps forward.

I dealt with a major problem yesterday and just when things seemed to be headed in the right direction, I was literally bitch slapped with a new one today.

As most of you know, I do my father's grocery shopping on Wednesdays. Today, Vivi had her little holiday program at school and then I had to drive Uncle Jim to work. I didn't arrive at my father's until about 2.

There wasn't anything unusual about today's visit, the house was hot, the list consisted of toilet paper and soup. There was a problem though, my stepmother. She doesn't like to eat and from the looks of it, she hasn't eaten in a while. A long while.

She has always been thin, but my best estimate is that she now weighs about 89 lbs and she's 6 feet tall. I know, right???

She looks like a skeleton!!!! She also fell and hurt her back, so she is having a hard time walking.

I literally had my cell in my hand with 9 and 1 already pushed and my finger hovering over the 1.

The only way she could convince me to not call the ambulance is to promise to follow my eating plan for her. We went over things that she liked to eat and added them to the grocery list. She's a creature of habit so I wrote up a few small meals that I know she will eat. She has to eat 6 times a day and I made my father promise to tell me if she doesn't. I will go over there with a plumber's helper and a shovel to get it all in.

My father was trying to give her 3 large meals a day, but they overwhelmed her, mentally and emotionally she would already be full before she even started. 6 small meals is a much better plan for her, sort of like a diabetic. That way when she finishes something she has a little pride and is more likely to eat more.


After our talk, the look on their faces told me that I put the fear of God into both of them. I also said that if the plan is not followed, I am sure the hospital would be happy to put a tube in her stomach and pump food into it.

When we get her strength up, then I will make her walk with me and do some stretches so we can maybe fix her back a little. But even a car won't go if you don't put fuel in it.

I really hope this works because I would like to respect her wishes about going to the hospital. Although, I will have no problem making that call if it comes down to it.

Please keep us in your prayers while I police this matter more closely. At least this time it didn't have anything to do with money.

9 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I'm sorry you have that additional stress and worry now. I hope that she will follow your plans and menu ideas. I will add you all to my prayers.

Intense Guy said...

She's lucky to have you around - not that you needed the burden though.

Being on the well-padded side I envy thin people - but there is a limit.

Hope you are coping - you must be developing some muscles just lifting all that toilet paper...

:) I replace the roll in the bathroom in my house yesterday and I thought, I ought to see how long this roll lasts.. I've gone 10 rolls into 12 pack and I think I bought the bag last year... LOL

Lacey said...

Oh my! You are totally right about the six meal thing being a more encouraging experience and the car not running without fuel thing and everything else. What would they do without you?!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Oh my gosh....I will pray for her....and for you! To have the strength to do EVERYTHING!!!

Hope she gains weight quickly!

Becky said...

It is such a good thing that you have this once a week grocery thing set up.

You see things happern for a reason. Maybe not the way we want. You were maybe put in their path Becky. They really were needing an intervention it sounds like.

I will definitly keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

Last night I couldn't sleep and I layed away praying for all of my blog friends and the many trials and events going on in their lives. People I have never met, but that are having babies, and are sick, and that ILOVE. This is such a neat community of people that I don't even know:)

Anonymous said...

You have such a big heart. Let's hope she comes around and starts eating to get a few pounds on her frail body. She must be exhausted.

Let us all know how she does with the new meal plan.

Di

LadyStyx said...

oh my. 6 smaller meals will definitely be much more encouraging to her. I hope this resolves itself quickly because last thing anyone wants is to be in the hospital during the holidays.

Deanna said...

She is lucky to have you. After seeing my own mother wither away... keep after her and hold strong. She is very lucky to have you.

Hope 2010 is a bit easier for you and your family.

Toriz said...

Good luck... I hope she follows the eating plan and starts eating properly